Thursday, August 17, 2006

Rare Silhouette by Nellis


Very Rare Silhouette by Nellis
Until today, I did not realize Nellis could cut this type of a work. I knew that he was talented, but this silhouette is totally mind-boggling. This is all done with his toes! It was auctioned in October 6, 2004 by Ritchies of Canada from the estate of John L. Russell. Does anyone have any other info on this piece? I wrote the auctioneer and currently waiting for a reply. My earlier blog states that I own the only silhouette by Nellis. Now, I need to rephrase that statement: I own the only profile silhouette by Nellis.
I rec'd a very swift reply from Mr. Quinn of Ritchies.

Sale 730, Lot 2126
MASTER SANDERS K. G. NELLIS
SILHOUETTE OF HUNTER AND HOUNDS CHASING A DEER.
Cut from several pieces of paper, inscribed Executed for the Honorable D.B. Viger by S. K. G. Nellis, Born Without Arms, and dated Montreal Sept 27th 1845.
Sight 25.5 x 13.5 cm. (10 x 5 1/4 in.).
Est.: $700 / 900, Realized $750

Note: Attached to verso is a copy of an 1836 newspaper article describing the nature of Master S.K.G. NellisÕ travelling performances which delighted audiences across North America. His long list of talents included cutting silhouette portraits With scissors in toes,Ó playing the violoncello, and shooting targets with bow and arrow.

Provenance: From the collection of the late John L Russell, CM. (Order of Canada)
Mr. Russell was a pre-eminent dealer and collector of Canadian antiques, with a shop for 40 years in Montreal, and later, in Kingston, Ontario.

No comments: